Today’s Wisdom for Tomorrow’s Generation: A Father’s Advice on Marriage
1. Dear son, any woman you keep spending on and she keeps enjoying the attention but never cares to know if you are saving or investing is not a marriage material.
2. Dear son, a woman could be a good wife to you, another could be a good mother to your children but if you find a woman who is like a mother to you, your children and your family, please don’t let her go.
3. Dear son, now that you’re married, if you continue to live a bachelor’s life with your wife, you will soon be single again.
4. Dear son, in our days, we had many wives and many children simply because we had large farm- lands and many harvests, there are hardly any land for farming anymore, so embrace your woman closely.
5. Dear son, don’t ever raise your hand against your woman, the pain in her body is nothing to be compared to the wound on her heart, and you may be in trouble living with a wounded woman.
6. Dear son, your mother have once locked up the cloth I was wearing and almost tore it because she was angry, I did not raise my hand to beat her because of a day like this, so that I can be proud to tell you that I never for once beat your mother.
7. Dear son, don’t confine your wife only to the kitchen that is alien to our culture! Even in our days, we had farm-lands where they worked every morning . . . that was our office.
8. Dear son, being the head of the house, never look at your pocket; look for that smile on your wife’s face.
9. Dear son, in order to live long, let your wife be in-charge of your earnings, she will be cautious in spending when she’s aware of what is needed at home and the bills to pay but you keep it, she will keep asking even when she knows all has been spent.
10. Dear son, there is this thing you people call feminism, well, if a woman claim to have equal right with you in the house, divide all the bills into two equal parts, take one part and ask her to start paying the other part.
11. Dear son, I proposed to your mother under a cocoa tree, that could be your eateries and restaurants of nowadays, but remember, the closet thing we did there was to embrace each other.
12. Dear son, don’t be carried away when things suddenly become better, instead of wasting your resources on those tiny legs that never knew how hard you worked to get it, spend it on that woman that stood by you all along.
13. Dear son, when I threw little stones or whistled at the window of your mother father’s house, to call her out, it was not for sex, it was because I missed her so much.
14. Dear son, remember, when you say your wife has changed, there could be something you’ve stopped doing too.
15. Dear son, your mother rode the bicycle with me before I bought that tortoise car
outside there, any woman that won’t endure with you in your little beginning should not enjoy your riches.
16. Dear son, don’t compare your wife to any woman, there are ways she’s enduring you too and has she ever compared you to any man?
17. Dear son, I met your mother a virgin and I took more yams to her father, if you don’t meet your wife a virgin, don’t blame her, what I didn’t tell you is that our women had prestige.
18. Dear son, I didn’t send your sisters to school because I was foolish like many to think a female child won’t extend my family name, please don’t make that mistake, the kind of female achievers I see nowadays has made the male-gender an ordinary tag.
19. Dear son, in our days, our women had more of natural beauty, though I wouldn’t lie to you, some had minor painting of their appellation mostly on their arms, the ones you people now call tattoo, but don’t forget that they didn’t expose any part of their body like your women of nowadays.
20. Dear son, your mother and I are not interested in what happens in your marriage; try to handle issues without always coming to us.
21. Dear son, remember I bought your mother’s first sewing machine for her, help your wife achieve her dreams just as you’re pursuing yours.
22. Dear son, don’t stop taking care of me and your mother, so that your children will take care of you too.
23. Dear son, please return to the Echoes of Hope everyday for to learn wisdom.